Saturday, April 4, 2009

Partner in Crime

what a crazy beginning of the year.
I managed to get all my hiring and menus done by the end of February and suprising enough had time to substitute teach at the local culinary school.

My good friend Matt Zimny who has been the Exec. Sous Chef with me for 5 long years has now moved up as the Exec Chef at our other hotel, the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. Congrats to him!Now it has left me to find a replacement. Its tough. Its like if Crockett lost Tubbs or Starsky left to go work across town leaving Hutch to drive that cool car solo.You are used to them, but better yet, they are used to your cranky persnickity ass. Finding a new partner sucks and I am not one to go out just bring anyone in. Let alone interview over the phone for an important gig like this.You gotta prove yourself in the trenches. I gotta know that when the shit hits the fan, you are gonna back me up.
I advertized for the position on craigslists all over the US. Incredibly I received over 80 applications and resumes. Completley overwhelming to say the least.Most where way over qualified which perked my chef senses.
What the fuck are all these huge overqualified Chefs applying for a seasonal sous chef position? There were only a few possible anwers and being in the food industry for 15 years, I know how to weed out the psychos.
1-drug addicts and alcoholics run rampant in the industry, if they have a lot of "experience" from place to place, they most likely baled.
2-they simply lie on the resume. Most restaurants are helpless and need to get a decent line cook ASAP. They will not check refrences so they make some shit up.
3- the economy in the lower 48 is so tough, places are closing or laying Chefs off. I believe this to be true and Alaska has always seen an influx of workers for the summer when the economy tanks, but I say 15% of them were 1 and 2.

We have seen an increase in applications on all sides of the restaurant, but have also predicted a 30% decrease in revenue do to people not traveling as much because of the douche bags who have been running things.To say the least, it should be an interesting year. I am however,confident in the numbers and still making a profit for the summer and am looking froward to actually enjoying a myself during the season.

So my choice for a new sous chef came from a kid who only worked half the season last year, but showed promise. Not sure if he will wind up the new Chewbacca or end up dead after the first episode, only the season will decide. I guess you gotta take a chance , someone did for me and look where I ended up....

Next up....

My week substitute teaching at the local culinary school.....

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the kid! I hope he pans out. We are anxious for you to open so that we can ride our bikes out, stuff our faces, and make excuses for our gluttony because we rode the bikes :)

    ReplyDelete